Monday, August 31, 2009
MISS UNIVERSE 2009
Miss Universe 2009, the 58th Miss Universe pageant was held at the Atlantis Paradise Island, in Nassau, Bahamas on August 23, 2009. It was the first time an outgoing queen crowned her successor from the same country: Stefanía Fernández, Miss Venezuela, was crowned Miss Universe 2009 by outgoing titleholder Dayana Mendoza. 84 countries and territories competed for the title and the pageant was broadcasted live on NBC and Telemundo. On August 22, Jewel Selver representing Turks & Caicos withdrew from the pageant due illness, only 83 contestants competed the final on August 23.
The presentation show, rehearsals, dress rehearsal and the grand final took place at the Imperial Ballroom in the Atlantis Paradise Island Resort.
This marks the first time the Miss Universe preliminary competition was streamed online to a worldwide audience.
At the Preliminary Competition all contestants competed in the Swimsuit and Evening Gown categories as part of the selection for the top 15 finalists who will be revealed during the beginning of the two-hour live telecast of the 2009 Miss Universe Pageant live on NBC and Telemundo on Sunday, August 24th at 0100 GMT.
The Preliminary Competition was hosted by Miss Universe 2008, Dayana Mendoza and Local Bahamas radio personality Ed Fields. London based singer Anthoney Wright performed his hit song "Wud if I Cud" during the competition.
This marks the first time the Miss Universe live telecast was introduced by Donald Trump.
84 contestants pre-taped the national costume introduction including Turks & Caicos – Jewel Selver. Top 15 were announced, followed by Dayana Mendoza talking about her life as Miss Universe 2008. The Top 15 semi-finalists competed in the Swimsuit competition and Top 10 finalists completed in the Evening Gown competition. The televised audiences could seen the judges' average combined scores. Before announced the finalists, there are two special awards – Miss Congeniality and Miss Photogenic were given. Dayana Mendoza reveals that the new Miss Universe crown is the “Peace” model. The Top 5 finalists completed in the though final question round. The 4 runner-ups announced first, followed by the new Miss Universe 2009 – Stefanía Fernández.
The live telecast was hosted by Access Hollywood, Billy Bush and Celebrity Apprentice Claudia Jordan. For the first time, special guest – Heidi Montag performed during the Top 15 fashion shoot presentation. When Flo Rida performed during the Top 15 swimsuit competition, and David Guetta featuring Kelly Rowland performed during the Top 10 evening gown competition.
* Keisha Whitaker – Fashion Maven and Founder of the Kissable Couture Lip Gloss line.
* Tamara Tunie – Actress, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit".
* George Maloof Jr. – Professional Sports Mogul and Hotelier.
* Farouk – Founder and Chairman of CHI Hair Care.
* Richard LeFrak – Chairman, President and CEO LeFrak Organization.
* Heather Kerzner – Philanthropist and Ambassador for Kerzner International and Resorts.
* Matthew Rolston – Leading Photographer and Director.
* Dean Cain – Actor and Producer.
* Colin Cowie – Author, Television Personality and Designer to the Stars.
* Valeria Mazza – International Supermodel.
* Andre Leon Talley – Award-winning Writer and Editor.
* Gerry DeVeaux – Award-winning Producer, Songwriter and Style Guru.
* Mark Wylie – Best Buddies Talent Executive.
* Adriana Ching – Licensed attorney and a former real estate developer avid philanthropist.
* Todd Winston – Veteran of the hospitality industry and Vice President of Sales at Creative Promotional.
* Rosalina Lydster – Fashion designer for celebrities.
* Tiza Tjokroadisumarto – Director of Retail Operations for Michael Kors.
* Corinne Nicolas – President of Trump Model Management.
* David Friedman – Last Call with Carson Daly Executive Producer.
* Steven Schillaci – Talent Producer for many hit shows including American Idol.
* Mario Mosley – Hollywood Choreographer of Oxygen’s Dance Your Ass Off.
* Sarah Markantonis – Ambassador of Kerzner International Bahamas.